Sunday, October 23, 2005

So much for being a dilettante, huh? Last April, in a (in hindsight) predictable turn of events, I became boss to about 50 people and became responsible for about 4000 kids getting safely to and from school. And all the shit that goes with that.
From April to August I worked the jobs of two people and gained 20 pounds. Now I have a Fantastic Secretary but, we're still training because of all the extra shit that falls in on us everyday. I'm still dealing with old problems that I think will take another year to get all cleared up. I get tons of praise but that doesn't relieve the tons of stress. Sometimes, I hate this job.
I finally read all the Harry Potter Books. I'll be in line at midnight for the next one, right behind Ellen. Ricky orders his. I just started The Geographers Library by Jon Fasman and I feel like it's the first real novel I've read in a long time. I don't know what I mean by real novel. I know, but I can't explain it except to say that it feels good to get back to other places, other people, ideas. Page 5, paragraph 1;
"After a couple of hours of Career Promoting, I felt certain that I would live a long, lonely, useless life and die alone and unmissed (did I mention that I never bothered filling out any grad-school applications?). It's self-indulgent, I know, but this is what happens to the over achieving but essentially useless children of parents who raised their children to do well on tests but failed to equip them with the poison-tipped spurs of true ambition."
Ahhh, now I know.
But it's O.K. Life is grand.
My daughter is in grad school. My son is in college and working and being a great dad himself.
Roger and I only celebrate every 5th year of marriage now, that's how much we take it for granted.
Except for the 2o pounds and these sharp pains I keep having in the center of my stomach.....
Anyone know how much a gallbladder weighs?

No comments:

Post a Comment